Baylor May Have Just Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by NJAggie, Feb 5, 2017.

1. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

As the Dr Pepper Churns is fast becoming the biggest show out of Waco running past the home makeover show. Today Baylor in defending itself from lawsuits by one of the fired football staffers may have let the bear out of the bag.

In defending it’s decision to fire Shillinglaw CBS Sports reports it has provide the court with documentation from the Pepper, Hamilton report that:

“Coach Briles, Shillinglaw, and certain of his assistants had enabled a culture within the program that treated football players differently by making sure they would not face the normal disciplinary processes and consequences that regular students would have faced. The law firm found evidence that Briles relied on Shillinglaw to line up legal representation for players who had run-ins with the law.”

Well the NCAA stayed away from this because until now it was just about criminal activity. Now we see that the school had info that the players involved had received benefits to assist them in getting away with the crimes. So the organization that can throw the book at a school for a coach giving a kid a ride home for Christmas, should be able to penalize Baylor.

One of the most amazing things in all this is that somehow the leadership at BU would have put this into the public domain, and thought all it was going to do was help them win a lawsuit. It shows how far away that leadership is from grasping what a problem they have.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ely-involved-in-covering-up-player-incidents/

2. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. VideoBear

VideoBear Season Ticket Holder

The question will be, did they get anything a normal student would not. Baylor has a legal affairs office that provides attorney services to all students on campus for free. At least they did when I was in school.

4. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Well it appears they got a special disciplinary track that delivered no punishments, and helped get the police to suppress the case.

5. VideoBear

Sadly, that is not how it looks to anyone seeing the picture outside of the athletic department as well. The Title IX cases across the student body seem to have been suppressed and covered up. So, athletes may not have had a special track.

6. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

“If somebody’s around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” Mulkey said.
    :facepalm

And to me, the grand finale...

The problems we have at Baylor are no different as any other school in America. Period. Move on. Find another story to write.”

MBF, I'm sorry, but if this is going to piss you off, let's agree to disagree. However, people who try to pass the damn buck on RAPE is pathetic. Yes, it's embarrassing, and yes you don't want it being about your school, but come on, there are some things that deserve to be brought to light. Murder, rape, human trafficking. IMO, they are all similar on their level of evilness. /soapbox :onfire

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VideoBear

Brought to light, yes. Changes made, yes. Continue to hammer on it for as long as this one has... no. Massive changes have been made. Baylor is probably safer than other schools in the country right now because of the light that was shined on it and the changes that have been made. I have also said all along... Baylor handled all of this terribly, but it is not the only campus in the nation with major issues surrounding sexual assault right now. It is an issue on a national scale. Most schools just handle it better than Baylor had been.

8. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

I can understand that. But no one acts that way. They celebrated Mulkeys smartass remark about violence...About a very violent crime. Think about that for a second.

Would this fly if they were making light of human sex slaves in trafficking? It's disgusting.

MBF, I also didn't mean to make this personal against you. I just know you and box are the only 2 on here and he's not on a lot which is why you were mentioned.

I just think Baylor could turn this around if they embraced it and became a beacon against rape. Comments like hers says it's a culture there.

Have a good day, MBF.

9. VideoBear

I agree with you on how she said it. Punching someone in the face should not have been included and sends the wrong message. The overall message beyond that though I completely agree with though.

10. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

Agree with, yes. But it's NOT the message Baylor needs to be putting out. They are digging their own hole here and continually making it worse. Don't talk about Baylor being a victim, talk about how they will not tolerate this type of behavior again. Focus on THAT!

That's all I'm trying to say.

11. VideoBear

I just don't agree that she was painting Baylor as a victim. She was combating a narrative out there right now that Baylor is an unsafe place to be. It was about the current campus environment and all the changes that have been made. Until I start hearing people give the school even an ounce of credit for those changes, I will agree with Mulkey making statements like she did (just without the misguided violence in the statement).

12. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

Then if she was on the "inside" and "in the know" she'd know those changes. And she'd talk about those changes. She's not. She's saying, "Look over there! It's not just us!" That's playing victim. As if Baylor is getting unfair treatment for allowing violent offenses to go unanswered.

I'll use the analogy again because I want it to seep into your thoughts when you hear someone from Baylor say this. If someone you knew was a victim of human trafficking and was forced to take part in that world for let's say 3-4 years before they were found, would you want the people involved to say, "It's going on all over the world, not just here!" No, you wouldn't.

Baylor isn't getting recognized for it, because they aren't telling the world about it. Which is my point. Which argument are they making publicly? Not the one they should be. I have no doubt Baylor has started doing everything they can to change things. OU did the same after Bomar. But Baylor needs to educate their spokespeople on what to say and why. Their tactics in this is 100% wrong and ignorant. Get people focusing on what you are DOING. They aren't reporting it? Hold press conferences. Use those times where Mulkey and them get asked about it at press conferences. These are the things you do.

13. VideoBear

Oh, I readily admit that Baylor has ton a terrible job with the PR side as you say. You are dead on with that.

14. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I do think some of this is now out of the hands of Baylor. The State of Texas is now investigating the crimes, and I'd bet at the end of that trail some more heads in the admin will roll, and probably some charges will be filed. Through all of this the one thing that sticks out to me is the Security head has been defended, when it's clear he is as much a part of the problem as anyone. Why he wasn't the first one out the door is still a mystery to me.

15. VideoBear

Completely agree with you. Ramsower should have been gone long ago. He must have some serious dirt on someone in the Board of Regents for him to be kept on like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Yeah it just blows my mind that you have a policing issue, yet the head of it, who is mentioned in every story, is still on the job.

Question: How is BU security set up? Being a private school I'm just curious. At OSU the campus police are technically Oklahoma Highway Patrol Officers, so they have the ability to directly arrest and enforce, and have jurisdiction anywhere in state.

17. VideoBear

Baylor police are a separate police agency like that of any city in Texas. They only have jurisdiction on campus and I believe within a one mile radius from it. They are a real police force though with similar arrest and enforcement abilities.

18. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Thanks, I wasn't sure how they were set up. That makes the actions of their leader even more questionable than if they were simply security.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Austexeer

Austexeer Season Ticket Holder

FWIW - I have an interesting perspective on Baylor. Just literally today, I took my 16 year old HS junior tall, thin, blond haired blue eyed daughter to her college visit there. She was 100% convinced she was headed to A&M or UT. She left Waco, and the look I saw in her face.......she's going to Baylor. I was adamantly against it going in, but not so leaving. We were really impressed by the institution itself.

I learned two things today:
    1) I'm in Hell.
    2) it's a college of 12,000. The community that is Baylor (that is, the institution of higher ed), is a nice place, filled with nice people and good educational programs.

While I firmly believe that there are those in the administration who have come to covet the fame and money of sports above their own moral values and responsibilities, I also believe they will be cleansed of that by themselves, their stewards, or by the NCAA and/or Fed. We talked about all of that, and her perspective was enlightening. (In short - "Dad, I have a year to see how they progress and conduct themselves". Interestingly, she brought up the Mulkey thing as a negative. Didn't even know she followed it that closely).

If she chooses to go there, and they make meaningful progress between now and decision time, I'll support her 100%.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

Honestly, I hope Baylor becomes a beacon against sexual violence. I have no wish they fail in this. And I'm glad you shared what you did. I just wish they'd handle this differently. They handle it like entitled youth trying to play adult, when they should be handling it as an adult concerned about the entitled youth. :p