NCAA Women's Gymnastics National Champions

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by SoonerLawyer29, Apr 17, 2017.

1. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    OU picked up another national title over the weekend. It's our 3rd in 4 years in women's gymnastics. The ladies set an NCAA record for best score at the Super Six.

The men's team is favored to win the national championship this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Congrats!!!

3. CloneTemplePilots

CloneTemplePilots Season Ticket Holder

OU can thank Iowa State for the women's title. ISU was unable to accommodate KJ Kindler's (who is an ISU grad) wishes for facility upgrades when she was at ISU. This was primarily due to 20 years of bad ISU football through the 80s & 90s that did not provide sufficient revenues to adequately support non-rev programs like Gymnastics. KJ left ISU for OU before the new TV money kicked in and FB attendance spiked up.

4. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    Thank you, Iowa State, for being shortsighted tight-wads? :grin

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. CloneTemplePilots

CloneTemplePilots Season Ticket Holder

Better for the ISU AD to spend available funds on FB and BB than Gymnastics. And no donor was willing to foot the bill on their own for the upgrades that KJ requested. So she left and I can't blame her for doing so and I can't fault AD Jamie Pollard for not funding her requested upgrades from the operating AD Budget at that time. ISU now has the funds to better support non-rev programs. For example, ISU wrestling had completely gone to hell in recent years under Kevin Jackson. He was fired in mid-season and replaced by Kevin Dresser from VA Tech for a hefty salary by wrestling standards along with the establishment of a Regional Wrestling Training Center that is being partially funded by the operating budget in addition to outside donor funding.

Woody Hayes' punch of the Clemson player triggered 20 really bad years of ISU FB. Earle Bruce replaced Woody at Ohio State and then ISU hosed themselves by not hiring John Cooper (ISU alum) to replace Earle. Instead, they hired Donnie Duncan from Switzer's OU staff and Duncan promptly wasted a boatload of talent that Earle left for him. Cooper instead went on to success at Arizona State and ironically ended up replacing Earle at Ohio St. Dan McCarney did help ISU FB get back to some semblance of respectability and Paul Rhoads had some brief success. I think the current HC, Matt Campbell, is the real deal and ISU's best hire since Earle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    I understand, CTP. Just busting your balls a bit. Programs tend to have to pick and choose their specialties in olympic sports. I think OU actually invested in both mens and womens gymnastics because OSU has such a dominant wrestling program and UT has such a dominant swimming program, that they decided to carve out their own niche. That's just pure speculation on my part however. OU has never fielded a swim team, despite some pushes for it from time to time.