OSU ADMINISTRATION sucks

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by Slingblade4OSU, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Slingblade4OSU

Slingblade4OSU Season Ticket Holder

Underwood leaves for Illinois.

2. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

That hurts. Holder has no clue how to negotiate. Under appreciates his coaches. And over appreciated Ford for some reason.

3. JayhawkInVegas

JayhawkInVegas Fanatic

Unbelievable... What a loss.

4. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

Wow. Huge loss for OSU. Absolutely no reason (other than bad relationships with the admin) to leave Oklahoma State for Illinois.

... so does this mean Underwood lands at KU in a few years when Self replaces Popovich in San Antonio?

• Like Like x 1
  5. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

It really just came down to dollars. Illinois was offering enough OSU would have had to come up with $3.4M, and it just wasn't possible. Still dealing with the Ford Contract.

Underwood spent a lot of years at the lower levels, JC and assistant at lower divisions. He's over 50, and wants to make money now. The Illinois offer was too much to turn down, and we couldn't match it.

Other than the money I think he'll regret it, and I think if he'd talked to Self and Krueger he'd have turned it down.

Time to go out and hire another one.

6. JayhawkInVegas

JayhawkInVegas Fanatic

That seems to be the trend. In all honesty I am terrified of how terrible the hire will be with our current AD. I will give Illinois's new AD credit, he has pulled down some whales.

7. Austexeer

Austexeer Season Ticket Holder

Ouch. Man that sucks, he really had the program looking up. Maybe you'll get another shot at him on the rebound from Illinois, since that seems to be where careers go to die.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

With more info coming out it's looking more like he wasn't really giving OSU much of a chance here, once he got the offer he wanted.

He was scheduled to meet with Holder at 2:45 yesterday to talk about his contract. Shows up late to the meeting tells them he needs $3M+ a year to stay, then leaves.

Not quite what the Holder haters wanted the story to be, but it doesn't sound like he really wanted a counter offer.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

9. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

10. GoldRusher

GoldRusher Booster

• Like Like x 1
  11. JayhawkInVegas

JayhawkInVegas Fanatic

If Miller would take the job they should go after him. My guess is he will be too expensive.

I don't see Jank, Williams or Enfield leaving, or at least for the amount OSU is willing to pay.

Muller looks like he may be the best of the bunch due to salary reasons. I think it would be a really solid hire if they could get him.

Crean, maybe. I don't know about him. He seems to have real personality issues but he would probably make OSU competitive again.

Gottlieb is a total wildcard, I really have no thoughts how that would work out, but I would go with Muller over both Gottlieb and Crean. Out of that list I would go:

Miller
    Jank
    Williams
    Muller
    Crean
    Enfield
    Gottlieb

12. GoldRusher

GoldRusher Booster

Gottlieb, in THIS conference with the coaches we all have and him with zero experience? Yikes

Crean would prob be my first choice right now if I could get him.

13. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I don't think there are any reasonable money we couldn't spend to hire the right coach. It wasn't a matter of not having it for BU, he didn't wait to find out if it was there. I do think it would have been hard to make that call based on the money he was looking for. If it came to buy outs that might be a budget breaker, but we already had $2.2 on the line, and with $3M in settlement we'll have a bit of leeway in our negotiations.

An interesting point from Doug Gottlieb, is that BU was personally negotiating the new contract with Holder, and that may have led to the end game as it played out. Gottlieb and he have the same agent, so that's how DG is getting this info. His comment was that was not a good move. Let your agent do it because when they say no it will sound better by the time your agent tells you than it will in direct negotiations.

14. JayhawkInVegas

JayhawkInVegas Fanatic

My guess is Underwood is out of there in 3 years. Nobody who can leave stays there. The in-state recruiting is toxic. Look at their entire history. They should be a blue blood with that kind of fertile recruiting. I know Self and Kruger hated the slime aspect. All college sports have a slime aspect, but Illinois is just a cesspool. The entire state. All of their Governors end up in prison. Chicago is corrupt, Peoria... If he is at UNC or UCLA in a few years then it was a great move but I don't think he will like it at Illinois for reasons completely out of the University's control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Totally agree, he'll be there long enough to get the next big bump either in college of the NBA.

16. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

17. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

That's some really bad work by Trammel. Trying to make a case that Holder has low expectations for basketball by saying that currently the team has probably caught KSU, and that to get $3M you need to make some noise in the tournament just doesn't work. I don't see any need to lie to a coach to make him feel good. And all this took place before the tournament game, not after he had the offer.

Lots of stuff floating around today. Pretty credible sources saying he met with KSU prior to our game up there.

18. PokesRx

PokesRx Booster

Holder is incompetent. He is going to chase Gundy off too. There was talk he was interested in the Baylor job just to get away. We should have paid Underwood. After suffering through so many years of Ford, if we get Gottlieb I will kick my tv.

19. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

Tramel isn't the only guy floating that Holder screwed this up. From what I can tell, it's the universal sentiment.