Sporting News Top 25 QBs

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by SoonerManiac, May 19, 2017.

1. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

2. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

Jalen Hurts at #3? LOL. Good player, but come on. I also think they're underselling how much Bama will miss Kiffin. Guy is a clown but he's also a play-calling genius.

Strictly looking at it from a Big 12 standpoint, I think Buechele is overrated. He put up big numbers in a really simple system but most of those big numbers were early on. He struggled down the stretch when teams started keying in on which spots on the field he wouldn't even target. He's not a typical Herman QB physically. The scheme under Herman will be more complex. So I'm not sold at all on this one. Texas is still shopping for a grad transfer for a reason.

I think Ertz is a little undersold. 2nd year starters under Snyder tend to be really good. Ertz is as talented a guy as he's had during the 2.0 run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Austexeer

Austexeer Season Ticket Holder

I think Zaire picks Texas, a move that scrambles the QB room.......

I like Mayfield's moxy, but I think Randolph is the better QB. Just my opinion.

Course, I'm just looking forward to actually having one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

Rudolph will be the better pro prospect. That said, COLLEGE-wise, I think Mayfield is better. And I said the same thing about Patrick Mahomes. IDK if that entirely makes sense, but it's how I feel.

5. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

I agree with this. Rudolph has the prototypical size and arm strength to stand in the pocket and make throws in the NFL that Mayfield won't be able to make (and isn't asked to make at OU.) But Mayfield is more accurate. And the speed of the college game isn't enough to close throwing windows on him that won't be open in the NFL.

If Patrick Mahomes had played with OU-level talent around him, he would have own a Heisman trophy. His athleticism gives him a chance to transition to the NFL, too. I just don't think Mayfield is quite there athletically. Maybe he'll surprise me and have a Drew Brees-ish career but I don't think he's got that kind of arm strength.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I won't argue the Mayfield over Rudolph thing because I think on the field that's been settled to date. Looking forward to the final chapters in that battle this year.

I almost feel sorry for UT with all the hype. Last year anyone who seriously looked at that team and didn't see a losing record as the most likely possibility, didn't look past that decal on the helmet. They're roster is in better shape than where they were a year ago, Strong did do that, but they are still not in the top tier of the league let alone nationally. Buchele is a good kid, but yeah he's probably not a top QB. He might be by the time he's a Sr. The fact that Herman is signing multiple QB's this year says he doesn't have the talent he wants or needs in the group on campus. If Buchele doesn't improve this year, then he might find he's not the QB in Austin for 2018.

7. Austexeer

I agree with this. I think they have a tremendous LB corp, a pretty good OL, and talent running the ball. I think Buchele is a good QB, but take it from a Mountaineer - you can't win the shit that matters in this conference without elite QB play and a great secondary - and I don't think the Horns are there yet.

Besides, I'm probably the outlier, but I'm not totally bought in to the Herman hype just yet. If they win like projected this year, I might be.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

OU has had statistically, the most efficient offenses to date under Stoops, with Riley at the helm. Our defense has sucked. That said, I'm not sure OU would have won the Big 12 had it not been down a bit the last couple years. Or it just shows you how good of an offensive coach Riley is that he made up for that difference. He talked about one time where he had to slow things down for our defense because they were getting exhausted with OU scoring too fast repeatedly.

9. Austexeer

Fair point. I guess my lens is fogged by the absolutely atrocious QB play we've had the last two years against you....

10. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

OU's defense in 2015 was pretty good. Top 25 nationally or so. And we weren't bad in the 2nd half of 2016. Played really well against Auburn. But OU's defensive struggles sometimes get overblown as it relates to the Big 12. There aren't any elite defenses in this conference and haven't been for a long time. Who is playing consistently better defense than we are?

But yeah. The team with the best offense usually wins the Big 12. K-State in 2012 is probably the only exception in the last 10 years or so.