Wichita State to AAC?

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by SoonerLawyer29, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    The rumor is that they'll fill the Olympic sports void left by football-only Navy. Allegedly VCU and Dayton are also rumored "everything but football" candidates.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017...ment-expansion-rumor-wichita-state-dayton-vcu

Imagine this hoops league:

UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, Houston, Wichita State, SMU, Tulsa, Dayton, VCU... and Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF.

That collection of hoops schools would be really close to getting "high major" treatment from the committee and media. (I mean, if the SEC is a high major hoops league...) There is a lot of Final 4 history in that group. Some big name coaches there, too.

2. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I'd seen the stories coming out of Wichita, but this is the first time I've heard the AAC might actually be interested. I can't imagine they'd want to fire back up football, or that the AAC would be very interested in it. But them coming in as Olympic only would add a pretty good hoops and baseball team to that league, and I ca't see how it wouldn't help the Shockers stay at their current level or even increase it.

3. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    They probably need to upgrade hoops to keep UConn from joining the Big East. And UConn would probably prefer to stay in the AAC for football's sake if the basketball could be upgraded.

4. VideoBear

VideoBear Season Ticket Holder

This goes back down the path of one of the causes of the break up of the original Big East though. If you get too many basketball only schools, they start to get in the way of the football side and it causes friction within the conference.

5. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    Maybe. But structurally, since the AAC was a football league first, they aren't going to have the voting issues that plagued the Big East. Unless the current AAC members voluntarily give schools who would die to be in the AAC power they shouldn't be wielding.

I'm not sure I'd go beyond adding those three. But if you can get the American "high major" treatment in basketball, I think the perception carries over across the board to some extent. So it's probably worth doing.

6. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I don't know that it was simply a basketball only issue. I'm sure our Mountaineers will have plenty to say about it, but the structure in the BE gave an inordinate amount of power to the basketball only schools. The original BE schools only added to football keep Syracuse and Pitt from leaving for another conference. But, they set it up so that the new members didn't have the same weight in conference decision making. So the original basketball schools had veto rights at least if not a full ability to force their decisions on all. Then when ND was added to the basketball only block it got worse. In the BE you basically had a controlling block able to make decisions that hurt the football schools, and they did it regularly.

If the AAC avoids that kind of 2 or 3 tier membership issue they should be fine.

7. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
  8. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
  9. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
  10. CloneTemplePilots

CloneTemplePilots Season Ticket Holder

Dayton and SLU are both better long-term alternatives for the AAC than Wichita State, especially Dayton.

11. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    Maybe. But with the Koch Brothers investing heavily in Shockers hoops, I suspect they aren't going away as a Top 25 team any time soon. Their facilities are nice. Marshall gets $3.3M(!!!) per year. And the Shocks also bring a historically elite baseball program, too.

12. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I'd suppose it may have had to do with the full athletic program, not just basketball. I don't think those other two match up well there.

13. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    If you're trying to fight your way up the respect ladder as a conference, having the Koch Brothers as allies is not a small feather in the cap. I really think the Shockers' baseball program will benefit on the recruiting trail by playing Houston and Tulane regularly, too.

14. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

I would think it will help all their sports getting in the AAC. Playing Houston, Tulsa, and Tulane instead of Drake and Illinois State is going to raise their profile, and should help their recruiting across the board. Not to mention being in a league that is going to get multiple bids to tournaments is huge. Nothing helps recruit like being able to show tournament history in your sport. And, it's much better to be in a league where you don't have to be perfect to get it.

I read that the had talked to the MWC as well, and even offered to restart football if they were invited. I know there's nothing in the announcement that says they're going to, but I wonder if that's not something the Koch's might bankroll? It would be a decade long process, but it would help both school and conference.

15. Huan

Huan Season Ticket Holder

I doubt the Koch would want to donate money to restart shocker football; doesn't seem like a financial conservative thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Well dumping what they already do on basketball and baseball makes little financial sense. So why no pay for a football program tha twill get them even more notoriety?

17. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    IDK, TBoone did it for OSU. :nest

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PokesRx

PokesRx Booster

• Original Fanatic
    Yep. I don't think the Kochs are giving to WSU for the ROI.

Billionaires want to have some fun with their money too. If not, whats the point? I think they just want to win and its their pet project. I could be wrong.

19. Huan

Huan Season Ticket Holder

OSU had football in a football state, and at a level that just needed a boost
    WSU has basketball in a basketball state, and at a level that just needed a boost
    Both with reasonable RoI.

I'd like to see WSU restart football, but it would take about 60 mil (iirc) to do so, and would likely lose money for years. Would they go FBS now that they are in the AAC?

20. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

They'd probably need to do like UConn did which was start up at the FCS level, for 5 or 6 years, then transition up.