Will Tech have enough men to field a team by September?

Discussion in 'College Sports Talk' started by NJAggie, May 16, 2017.

1. NJAggie

NJAggie Fanatic

Man they're heading for the doors. I don't even know what to say when you have kids transferring to schools where their next two years will give them the same numbers they'd have had by the end of September this year.

When can Tech pull the trigger on KK?

2. SoonerManiac

SoonerManiac Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    What's it looking like?

3. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    I think he's done if they don't make a bowl game this year. If they make a bowl I think he'll get more time. They were pretty much a bowl team lock during the Big 12 1.0 years so TTU sees that as a baseline expectation.

Their schedule is brutal this year. Start w/ Eastern Washington (which is an elite FCS team that FBS teams shouldn't ever schedule), then ASU, then at Houston. He really needs to sweep that but could just as easily get swept.

All of that said, if Kliff gets fired, he'll be making $1M+ as an OC somewhere next year. He's an elite QB coach / OC.

4. Huan

Huan Season Ticket Holder

He was too young to be head coach

5. VideoBear

VideoBear Season Ticket Holder

What is happening at Tech is just shocking. Is he that hard to play for that the players would rather sit a year and go somewhere else? I expected this conversation to be about Baylor right now, not Tech.

6. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    My guess is that he runs his program too much the way that Sumlin was running A&M for a while. Loose ship as to discipline, impossible to keep playing time promises, etc. Combine that with not winning, and you get a lot of entitled guys questioning the coaches.

If Kliff gets let go, I think there will be a lot of smoke about Lincoln Riley taking that job. But Riley's profile is probably too similar to Kliff's for comfort (extremely young but brilliant OC, no HC experience.) Maybe Sonny Dykes makes more sense. I do think Riley is probably gone after this year but the contract bump probably ups the asking price quite a bit.

7. GoldRusher

GoldRusher Booster

What's the count so far on players leaving?
    I've seen a few but didn't realize that it was any reason for worry on Tech's part.

8. kellerfox

kellerfox Season Ticket Holder

It does look very bad, however there is not correlation to the internal workings of the current roster and coaching staff aside from bad luck with injuries and poor character. A majority of the kids are frustrated that they are 2nd and 3rd string and are taking the opportunity to move on because they feel they deserve to be starting. This happens on all teams, we just so happen to have a larger share of those "egos" right now. Perhaps the coaching staff over promised on the recruiting trail early in their tenure, I cannot speak to that. None of these losses have really meant much of anything. The only starter that we have lost was Breiden Fehoko, who certainly was a major blow. I don't think he was getting the best coaching last season and the coach who initially recruited him left his freshman year. Everyone else has been a casualty of depth, especially the 3 losses at WR.

As far as Kliff, his problem is/was two fold. First, he continued our trend of having massive defensive coaching staff turn over in his first few seasons. We finally have some stability, but our track record over the last decade has just created a black hole on that side of the ball that cant be fixed in just one season. I think Gibbs is capable of turning it around, but he is tied to Kliff and might not get the time. Second, Kliff didn't know how to run a program. He micromanaged the offense and turned a blind eye to the defensive staff. He is one of, if not the best, offensive coordinators in the nation. But he doesn't know how to run a program day-to-day. He is figuring out that he doesn't, has given up control of the offense, but I fear its a little to little to late.

This is a make or break season for him. 4-5 wins and he is gone. The buyout is getting manageable and the program is trending too far down. From formation through 2009, we were clearly the third best program in the Big12 (See conference winning percentage, bowl appearances, bowl wins, and players put into the NFL - - - I am not looking to argue this, but there are a lot of metrics to back it up; its fine if you disagree). Since then, we have taken a nose dive. The fans are getting restless, if this team doesn't take a huge step forward, then change will happen.

[sorry for shit post, been up/traveling for work since 3am]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #8 kellerfox, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  9. SoonerLawyer29

SoonerLawyer29 Fanatic

• Original Fanatic
    If Kliff can somehow survive this year, I think he'll end up being successful at Tech for a lot of years. The offense is going to be good for as long as he's there. But I think Gibbs will have the defense playing better by 2018. They don't need much defensive improvement at Tech to start winning a lot of games again.

10. Bone Crusher

Bone Crusher Season Ticket Holder

ASU isn't looking so hot this season. They are being picked to finish either 5th or 6th in the Pac-12 South along with their rivals in Tucson. They will have a new DC. It's going to be real hot in the South this year as three South coaches (UCLA, ASU, and UA) could be out of jobs after this season.

• Agree Agree x 1